What cannot a dog eat? Unfortunately, food poisoning in dogs is a relatively common condition that I encounter. Usually, the pet eats something that may harm him during our inattention. Therefore, it is worth knowing what your dog cannot eat to prevent poisoning.
Prohibited products for the dog
Many substances can be described as toxic to the dog; we can list many. Some have not been thoroughly researched yet, so this topic is still being explored. On the other hand, food poisoning in dogs often occurs due to the keepers’ ignorance.
Chocolate and cocoa
It is one of those products that is talked about a lot because, interestingly, chocolate poisoning in dogs is still relatively common. It should be remembered that the chocolate itself is harmful and products with its addition. The main toxin in chocolate is theobromine. The harmfulness of this substance is because the dog’s body cannot cope with its removal, and it takes a very long time. The lethal dose of theobromine for a dog is only 250 – 500 mg/kg body weight. However, historically there were also cases of dogs that ate a lower dose of 90-115 mg/kg body weight, resulting in the animal’s death.
Symptoms of poisoning with chocolate, or rather theobromine in dogs, can be observed an hour after consumption. The most frequently mentioned are heart rhythm disturbances, anxiety, breathing difficulties, tachycardia, bloody vomiting, diarrhea, convulsions, weakness. Unfortunately, poisoning can also affect the condition of the kidneys and liver.
Chocolate products have different theobromine content:
- white chocolate: 0.009 – 0.035 mg / g of the product;
- milk chocolate: 1.5 – 2 mg / g of the product;
- dark chocolate, sweetened: 3.6 – 8.4 mg / g of the product;
- dark chocolate: 12 – 19.6 mg / g of the product;
- cocoa powder: 4.5-30 mg / g of the product;
- cocoa beans: 10 – 53 mg / g of the product;
Grapes and raisins
These are some of those sample products that are yet to be established precisely what causes poisoning in dogs. At present, it has been found that the consumption of 2.8 g of raisins and 19.6 g of grapes per kg of dog’s body weight is the lowest toxic dose.
The most common symptoms of grape and raisin poisoning in dogs include vomiting, lack of appetite, weakness, abdominal pain, diarrhea, and ataxia. Ultimately, this poisoning can lead to acute renal failure and, unfortunately, death.
Your dog may tolerate some nuts to some extent, but this is not the case with macadamia nuts. Poisoning can occur after eating as little as 2.4 g / kg of the dog’s body weight.
The main symptoms of poisoning with these nuts are vomiting, weakness, convulsions, and ataxia. They usually appear about 12 hours after consumption and disappear within two days.
Garlic, onion, and chives
Vegetables that we often use as spices in the kitchen are toxic to dogs. We can include garlic, onion, and chives among them. After eating onions or garlic by a dog, the primary sources of poisoning are toxic disulfides with a robust oxidizing effect and sulphoxides. It should be noted that thermal processing does not change anything here, and these vegetables will still be poisonous. Disulfides destroy the structure of red blood cells, which may lead to anemia. Poisoning can occur after eating 5-10 g of the dog’s onions/kg body weight and about 5 g of garlic/kg body weight.
Other outward signs of poisoning will be diarrhea, vomiting, and sometimes skin symptoms. Eventually, it can also lead to kidney failure.
It is one of the ingredients that I often warn dog handlers about. Fruit can be part of the dog’s diet. Still, you should remember the seeds, especially if we talk about the origins of peaches, apricots, apples, or cherries, which contain dangerous cyanogenic heterosides. They produce hydrogen cyanide, which blocks cellular respiration. Swallowed stones can also irritate the intestines and lead to their obstruction.
The most common symptoms of stone poisoning include vomiting, drooling, rapid breathing, convulsions, anxiety, and loss of consciousness.
Therefore, remember not to give your dog seeds even for the usual, in theory, innocent play.
Bones after heat treatment
Bones have been burdened with quite a big myth that says they should not be given to a dog in any form. However, dice can be one component of BARF diets.
On the other hand, coming to the heart, the greatest threat is all bones subjected to any thermal treatment, so we are talking here, among other things, about boiled, dried, and smoked bones. Bones under the influence of heat treatment change their structure, making them brittle and brittle. Unfortunately, eating such a bone by a dog can lead to intestinal mucosa damage, intestinal obstruction, perforation, or inflammation.
The most common symptoms of the harmful effects of cooked bones include constipation or lack of defecation, decreased appetite, vomiting, and abdominal pain. Consequently, eating such bones can lead to the death of the animal.
Xylitol is an ingredient that, unfortunately, many people still forget about. It is a popular sweetener we use. Ingestion of xylitol by the dog causes liver damage. Xylitol is relatively quickly absorbed into the bloodstream, which can lead to the collapse or death of the animal.
I often warn about paying attention to the composition of dietary supplements that we want to give our dog. Especially those dedicated to people, they may contain the addition of xylitol.
Symptoms of xylitol poisoning include diarrhea, convulsions, coma, and weakness.
The toxic dose of xylitol for dogs may be as low as 0.1 – 0.5 g / kg body weight.
Alcohol is unhealthy for humans, but it can be even more dangerous for dogs. Alcohol poisoning can provoke problems of the heart system muscle spasms. The main symptoms include diarrhea, vomiting, and even death.
The main reason for poisoning with yeast dough is ethanol. It is a product of yeast fermentation. Eating yeast dough by a dog can lead to a stomach twist, a hazardous condition that threatens the animal’s life.
The main symptoms of yeast poisoning are diarrhea, vomiting, difficulty breathing, weakness, drop in body temperature, coma, and death.
While there are various studies on the positive effects of certain fungi on the dog’s body, it should be remembered that fungi are a vast taxonomic kingdom containing many varieties and genera.
We should remember about the potential poisoning of the dog with mushrooms, especially during the holiday season, when they are often on our Christmas Eve tables. Meanwhile, mushroom poisoning in dogs can cause convulsions, drooling, agitation, coma, abdominal pain, diarrhea, and vomiting.
Spices such as pepper, nutmeg, mustard, cinnamon, and excess salt can be a source of poisoning in dogs. I wrote extra salt because salt itself is not poisonous, and it is a source of sodium essential for dogs. However, as you know, too much is not healthy. Therefore, especially if we decide to give our pets cooked meals, we must remember that they are not seasoned.
Interestingly, I still encounter a situation where a dog regularly eats cat food. While such food will not be directly poisonous to the dog, it should be remembered that cats – as ruthless carnivores, have a slightly different need for nutrients, minerals, and vitamins. As a result, cat food can often contain more protein and fats. Therefore, a dog’s frequent cat food consumption may lead to a mineral and vitamin imbalance.
Dairy products and dairy products
It happens that we give our dog yogurt or cheese to eat. I am not in favor of using dairy in dogs. It should be remembered that the ability to tolerate lactose declines with age, so the consumption of dairy products by a dog may lead to diarrhea, abdominal pain, or vomiting. Milk proteins are also common allergens.
Raw meat and wild boar offal
You should also avoid raw meat and boar offal in your dog’s diet. The main reason is Aujeszky’s disease, which is fatal to dogs. The main symptoms of Aujeszky’s disease include paresis, paralysis, very severe itching leading to the animal’s self-mutilation.
Pork is also mentioned as a potential source of the virus of this disease. Still, since 2006, a program for the eradication and monitoring of Aujeszky’s disease among the entire pig population has been carried out in the USA.
What to do in case of dog poisoning?
If we notice disturbing symptoms in our dog and suspect that poisoning may have occurred, we should not delay contacting a veterinarian. Unfortunately, trying to save the dog on your own or looking for a quick solution on the Internet may not be effective and may end tragically for the dog.
Of course, as a rule, we can quickly use activated carbon, which will delay the absorption of the toxic substance. However, this may turn out to be insufficient, so that urgent veterinary intervention may be necessary.